Ryde-Parramatta Golf Club, Sunday 1 July, 2012
Well, Peter Adney’s time as President has been put to bed and that of David Evans has been awakened from its slumber.
Peter has served us well for the last two years and can now sit back and reflect, over a glass or three of fine muscat, or perhaps a fine shiraz.
David has been recycled for another stint (surely more than one) at the Presidency having been down that path too many years ago.
Order of proceedings commenced with the MC, Clem Cawley, welcoming guests
- 1st Vice District Governor, Warren Latham, accompanied on the day by his Lions Lady (& Lion) Marilyn.
- State Member for Parramatta, Dr Geoff Lee MP
- Deputy Lord Mayor, Parramatta City Council, Lion Andrew Wilson
- Scott Hurren, Executive Director of Nursing, Allowah Children’s Hospital
- Lorraine Bonisoli, Manager, Manning Foundation.
Reg Millett was then invited to give the Invocation & to propose the Loyal Toast. Andrew Wilson and Jeannette Potts were then asked to read the Lions Code of Ethics and the Lions Purposes, respectively.
Following a plentiful and satisfying buffet lunch, Camp Lionheart Chairman Geoff Bailey gave us a brief outline on this year’s Camp Lionheart Gala Dinner which is to be held once again at Oatlands House, currently undergoing refurbishment.
As is customary, the outgoing President gives a report on his stewardship. Peter Adney followed that routine. A copy of his Report forms part of this summary. As is also customary, Peter made a couple of presentations, firstly $1,500 to the Manning Foundation (Lorraine Bonisoli) and, secondly, $2,500 to Allowah Children’s Hospital (Scott Hurren).
Peter also made a few presentations to Lions for their service throughout 2011-2012:-
- Steven Hirsch was presented with a Ken Lentfer Award for his outstanding work on cake sales.
- Tanya Belon received a Neil Williams Award for her work in Cake Sales and for her success in raising funds for Camp Lionheart and the Christmas Hampers from her employer.
- David Evans for his work on Youth of the Year, Camp Lionheart and for towing the BBQ trailer.
- Jeannette Potts for her work in securing Guest Speakers, and in fundraising and social committees.
- Peter Deane, the Club Treasurer, for his work on just too many projects. In other words for being the quintessential Lion.
- Brian Curran for his work on District as Youth of the Year Chairman
- Michael Maughan for his work as Chairman of the Nurses Scholarship Foundation and arranging its BBQs, and for his assistance on the Camp Lionheart Committee.
- Sigrid Rottman for her work as a member of the Camp Lionheart Committee and on Club BBQs.
- Ray Steele, the BBQ King, for being just that and for doing it so well.
- Romy Rose for always being there when needed at Club BBQs.
- Geoff Bailey and Clem Cawley each received a “Lion of the Year” Award, particularly for their work on the Camp Lionheart Committee.
After all that, it was time for a bit of a break. Shortly afterwards, 1st Vice District Governor Warren was asked to induct our latest Lion, Dr Geoff Lee MP. Being 1 July meant that Geoff was probably one of the first new Lions anywhere for 2012-2013. As well as his formal induction he was informally inducted as a member of the Carlingford-Dundas Lions Club BBQ Team and was presented with his official BBQ shirt and cap.
Following the usual Toast to Lions Clubs International by Brian Curran, to which Warren responded, Warren then proceeded to induct the new Board of Directors for 2012-2013. You can see the full roll-up of these office-bearers at the front of this edition.
All the formalities over, all that remained was a spirited session of Tail-Twisting by Michael Maughan and the drawing of the raffle.